Scam Alert

September 14, 2020

Very recently several of our clients have been notified of unemployment claims.


Unemployment benefits for claims that they did not make.  Evidently, someone had obtained or accessed their or their loved one’s Social Security number.  They received an unemployment claim from the State of Kansas. 


If you have not filed a claim and have received such a notice, you or your loved one’s Social Security Number has been compromised. 


Before I get into the steps that you should consider taking that are considered recommended, let me just talk to you in general. 


Do not give out your Social Security Number.  There is no one that needs your Social Security Number.  Never give it out over the internet, by text, or by telephone.  Most companies that require information for identification purposes will ask for the last four digits of your Social Security Number, but not the whole thing. 


The Social Security office just does not call you.  If someone calls, please don’t give that person any information.


We’re really seeing an uptick in these scams. 


Here are the suggestions that we’ve seen in case your Social Security number has been imposed.  This information is from the Department of Labor.


“Because your Social Security Number (SSN) has been compromised, you will want to notify all three major credit reporting bureaus and request a “fraud alert” on your credit report. They are: 




 Consumer Fraud Division


 P.O. Box. 740241

 Atlanta, GA 30374 




 Fraud Victim Assistance Dept.


 P.O. Box 6790

 Fullerton, CA 92834 




 National Consumer Assist


 P.O. Box 9532

 Allen, TX 75013 


You may also want to contact your banks and credit card companies. Follow their advice as to whether you should close your account.


You should contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-269-0271.


Order a copy of your Personal Earnings and Benefit Estimate Statement

(PEBES) in order to check the accuracy of your work history on file with the SSA.


Since someone used your SSN to report employment earnings, you’ll want to notify the Internal Revenue Service’s fraud hotline at 1-800-908-4490.


Request a copy of your Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS. You will need to report and dispute any fraudulent earnings listed on the Wage and Income Transcript.


You can go to,,id=186436,00.html for additional IRS information. Call 1-877-487-2778, between 8:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m., Eastern time.


 In addition, please go to to file a report with the Federal Trade Commission.


 If you have any questions, please contact”

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

A Message to Our Clients and Friends

April 7, 2020

Please reload

Recent Posts

September 17, 2020

September 14, 2020

August 12, 2020

June 10, 2020

February 26, 2020

Please reload

Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

The information on this website is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Every case is different and outcomes depend on the facts or each case and the then applicable law. For specified questions, you should consult a qualified attorney.Use of this website does not create an attorney-client relationship

© 2020 by Clinkscales Elder Law Practice, P.A. Site Created By Marketing Maven.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon